Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Green Mountain VS Douglas and Shilen barrels? (Read 9268 times)
JLC
Junior Forum Member

Green Mountain VS Douglas and Shilen barrels?
Oct 31st, 2006 at 9:25pm

I am looking for a 17 barrel blank to rebarrel and rechamber a single shot rimfire to 17 HMR. I have never had a rimfire rebarrelled, and I am surprised at the difference in price between the makers. I am looking at the Brownells catalog, and the barrels from Green Mountain are much cheaper than those from Shilen or Douglas.  Is it the usual “you get what you pay for”?

JLC

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"

Lynchburg, VA, Virginia, USA
Re: Green Mountain VS Douglas and Shilen barrels?
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2006 at 9:33pm

I have never had a 17 built, but I have a bench gun and an offhand rifle with Douglas barrels, a rimfire with a Shilen, and offhand and BPCS rifles with Green Mountain, and all are very good.  FWIW, if I were buying a barrel to make that 17 cal low-wall I have been considering, it would probably be a Green Mountain, and I am currently building a .25-20 SS low-wall with a light octagon bbl. from Green Mountain.  You might want to try to get a copy of the ASSRA Journal from about 3 years back that contained my product review of the Green Mountain barrels.  My opinion has not changed on them at all.

Froggie

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Frequent Elocutionist

NRA Life since '76

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2006 at 11:41pm

What the Frog croaked.
Regards, Joe

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a U.S. soldier!

IP Logged

ssdave
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 12:02am

For what it's worth, if money is not an obstacle, I would buy a Lilja, Pac-nor, shilen, and Douglas before a green mountain, in that order.  I have two green mountain.  One seems to shoot fine, but has a defect in the rifling that is visible near the muzzle.  The other shoots well, but has tight and loose spots as you shove a tight patch down the bore.  It leads slightly in the vicinity of a loose spot, I suspect because of the loose spot. 

I bought the green mountain because they are a bargain at the price they charge for an octagon profile.  Were they worth the price?  Yes.  Were they the best I could have had?  No.  I paid over $200 delivered for the .38 cal green mountain, because it was in octagon profile, correct twist, and available immediately directly from them.  If Midway would have carried it, it would have been $139.  My next one, I will wait 12 weeks for a Lilja.  For $200 more, it is well worth it. Kind of like buying a BMW instead of a Geo.  Either one might be a good value for your money,  but in the long run you'll be a lot more impressed with the BMW.

dave

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 6:18am

While I can't address the inconsistency mentioned by ssdave, a fellow shooter had a rifle put together in .17 HMR with a Green Mountain barrel. The rifle happens to be a bolt action with the barrel turned to a straight taper. I haven't seen 100 yd groups but at 50 yds it shoots one hole groups. I have shot one (group) with it myself.

The GM barrel on .my 32-40 is also quite capable. I am not sorry I bought it but will admit I would have bought another make had funds not been an issue. Maybe it wouldn't have shot any better. It should be noted that the rifle taking second place at the BPCRS Nationals this year is said to have a GM barrel.

One (if not THE) top rimfire benchrest rifle builder advocates slugging EVERY barrel from EVERY maker prior to fitting and chambering. He says you can get a bad one from anyone. I defer to his experience.

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 8:15am

All of the makers mentioned can turn out a hummer barrel they also can turn out a dud. You pays your money you takes your chances.
The only advice that I will give you Buy Your Barrel Directly From the Manufacturer, don't go through a middleman. If you get a barrel wityh a problem it is easier to get it replaced by going to the guy who made it that a guy who bought a bunch of them.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Southwestern Ohio, Ohio, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 10:57am

A number of years ago, I was shooting big bore. I was at a match where the Advanced Marksmanship Unit was competing. Their gunsmith was with them. They replace barrels like we change our shoes. I think their barrel life was figured at about 1500 (15 HUNDRED) rounds.

I asked the gunsmith who made the best barrels. He told me that all of the well known barrel makers made fine barrels, and that everyone of them also made "bad" barrels. In fact, the AMU had developed a fixture where they could test a barrel before they spent a lot of time on it only to discover that wasn't good enough. They were supplied barrels from ALL of the major makers.

This information absolutely ties in with the information that Bill Calfey has reported. "Some barrels are good and some aren't". I wished Dave Brennan had allowed Bill to name names but he did not (Editor's perogative). At any rate, unless the rifle is a true MATCH rifle, I wouldn't worry about it and would probably just buy a major brand that had the best price at the time. My last two barrels for match guns were Shilen and I am happy with both of them, FWIW. Price was a factor. of course, but not the ONLY factor.

I might mention here that I had Shilen lap both my barrels (modest additional charge) before sending them to me. In my opinion, a lead bullet barrel needs lapped. The maker is more qualified to lap them than most anyone else (except maybe someone like Bill Calfey). My hope is if they find a tight or loose spot when lapping they'll correct it or replace the barrel before shipping. Just an additional thought....

Dale53

IP Logged

cmjr2

Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 5:00pm

I've got a Martini that I built a 17HMR using one of the GM blanks. The rifle is just as accurate as a CZ Varmint I've got in the same chambering and I get a lot more inquiries about the Martini than the CZ at the range. Current project is building a 17 Ackley Hornet with a  GM barrel and a Cadet action.

IP Logged

JLC
Junior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 6:57pm

Interesting posts... I was going to order the barrel through Brownells, but I might just buy straight from the manufacturer, as per advice given on this thread. Brownells has rimfire blank barrels listed only for Shilen, Douglas and Green Mountain. Going straight to the manufacturer gives me more choices. I'll see what kind of orices difference there is buying that way. From Brownells, the GM rimfire barrels are roughly half (or less) of what you pay for the others.

Thanks to all who replied to my original post.

JLC

IP Logged

grapeshot
Full Forum Member

Reply #9 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 7:10pm

In 40 odd years I have never had a bad Douglas barrel .  I have heard of them but I have never seen one.  In my experience there are many factors that contribute to poor shooting.  The barrel is only one factor.  Jay

IP Logged

ken_hurst 910-221-5288
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 8:28pm

Our own HST tied for first place (sil. match) until the shoot off and came in fifth place  in the 1000 yd match at the nationals in Raton using a GM bbl.

ken hurst

IP Logged

JLC
Junior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 8:30pm

I have a Douglas barrel on a BSA Martini Model 12 chambered in 17 Mach 2.  Very accurate gun and tremendous fun to shoot! I bought this one already built.

The only other gun with an aftermarket I had was a 1878 Borchardt with a round Kreiger barrel. That was very accurate too.

JLC

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 9:49pm

DonH wrote on Nov 1st, 2006 at 6:18am:
It should be noted that the rifle taking second place at the BPCRS Nationals this year is said to have a GM barrel...

It is more than said, it is a fact.  A GM barrel also finished 5th at the Creedmoor Nationals.

I am pretty much sold on GM barrels. The large caliber barrels I have used and those fitted for others have performed very well.  My only experience with GM small bores personally is with a liner barrel we made from one that shoots very well. I have had good reports back on .22 barrels installed for others. I have only installed one .17 and am told it shoots well.

If'n I was building a BR 50 rifle, or if money was no object, I reckon I would be shopping for a Lilja or Hart or PacNor one of the other high end barrels.  Otherwise I would give serious consideration to the Green Mountain. Ya' pays your money and takes your choice. Don't forget that the quality of the fitting, chambering and crown are as important to accuracy as the quality of the bore.

Glenn Fewless

IP Logged

Russell
Junior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 12:58am

I might as well jump in here with my experience.  A while back I bought a GM barrel in .22 LR and slugged it before threading it and found a tight spot that allowed the bullet to fall through the remainder of the barrel.  Also it is customary for the machined end of a blank to be the chamber end, on this particular barrel you could see the fins on the machined end where the rifling button had been pulled through in that direction.  After communicating with GM through Brownell's I was told this was to be expected and I should cut off three inches of the barrel on the tight end and throw it away.  Needless to say, the barrel was returned and I found another supplier.
Regards,

Russell

IP Logged

Cheapscate
Junior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 1:38am

I have had one unfortunate experience with a GM barrel, one that could conceivably happen with any of them. Whatever you do... no matter who you buy from, slug that barrel before you spend another dime on it. I didn't, and boy am I sorry.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print