Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLogin ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
22 WCF ??? Hornet??? (Read 4222 times)
henpeckedmuch
Senior Forum Member

22 WCF ??? Hornet???
Sep 17th, 2008 at 10:45pm

I understand that the original wincherster Hi and Lo walls were chambered in 22 WCF. And, that these are the same shape cartridges as the smokeless cartridge we all know as the 22 Hornet.
   My question is--Can we shoot factory 22 Hornet ammo in original 22 WCF Hi and Lo wall rifles? I understand that the 22 Hornet creates rather high ,c.u.p units, pressure.

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
ASSRA Board Member

LIFE MEMBER #14

Warsaw         LIFE MEMBER #14, Indiana, USA
Re: 22 WCF ??? Hornet???
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 11:01pm

There are a number of reasons why not to do this. First the caveat about shooting cartridges different then the caliber stamped on the barrel as well as the fact that the .22WCF uses larger diameter bullets and the smaller .22 Hornet bullets would not shoot so good probably. The good news is that you can probably use .22H brass to make .22 WCF ammo by expanding the neck and using the correct sized cast bullets.

Founder of the Quarter Bore Corps
ASSRA- founded to promote fellowship among those interested in the use, study, and preservation of single shot rifles devel. betwn the end of the Civil War and WW I

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 12:02am

Dimensionally, the .22 WCF uses a .228" bullet, while the Hornet uses either a .223" or .224", depending on what bore diameter was used.  You might have to get a custom bullet mold made and a custom expanding die plug to match your bullets.  And, of course, a sizing die that doesn't take the brass down to hold a .223" bullet...

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:57am

CH4D  www.ch4d.com ;  has the reloading dies for this caliber at $78.25 and NEI www.neihandtools.com/ ; has a bullet that should be suitable. 228-60-GC #7.

PETE

IP Logged

MI-shooter
Forum Mod

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 12:32pm

Wasn't the 22 WCF rim thickness also thinner than the Hornet to keep from using factory Hornet ammo in 22 WCF?

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 12:45pm

MI-shooter wrote on Sep 18th, 2008 at 12:32pm:
Wasn't the 22 WCF rim thickness also thinner than the Hornet to keep from using factory Hornet ammo in 22 WCF?

Might be, but I've worked on a couple of .22 WCF Low Walls that headspaced just fine with Hornet brass.  One thing my ammo collection is lacking is any original WCF brass to be able to measure...

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 10:55pm

I looked through my box of old cartridges and found a representative .22 Hornet as well as .22 WCF cartridge.  I didn't mike the rims but it appears the shoulders are significantly different.  In the attached picture, comparing the two cartridges side by side, the Hornet is on the right.  Terry

hornet.JPG (111 KB | 186 )
hornet.JPG

thop

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #7 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 11:09pm

Thanks for the photo, Terry.  It sure looks like a few thousandths of an inch difference in the rim thickness.  One thing to be aware of is that with rimmed bottlenecked cases, the shoulder location can vary quite a bit from batch to batch or between ammo makers, and still be within spec.  It's not critical as with rimmless cases, since the headspace location is on the rim, not the shoulder.

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print