Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Wickliffe Falling Block action (Read 10394 times)
Mr._Mister
Junior Forum Member

Wickliffe Falling Block action
Oct 5th, 2008 at 8:57pm

Hey, newbe here who is just getting into falling block rifles. I found this site on a search and well...here I am.

This is my Wickliffe Falling Block action which I just traded for.

I'm thinking it'll be a rat popper off a bench because this thing alone is HEAVY. I don't know what direction I'm going but something in a 22 cal or 243/6mm is what I'm leaning towards.

I may get the sides engraved. Funny thing is this action has no marks, not even a serial number.

Where can I find parts to complete this build?

Thanks,

Steve

IP Logged

Mr._Mister
Junior Forum Member

Re: Wickliffe Falling Block action
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 11:28am

No comments?

A buddy of mine thinks I should go with a 45-120 Sharps.

Don't know what I'd do with a canon like that but the "cool factor" whould be off the charts!

IP Logged

Redwing
Senior Forum Member

Canton, Ohio, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 12:08pm

Hey Mr. !!!

The action looks great but you need to “search” this forum for its comments (which are many) about the ownership and manufacture of these actions… Then you can form your own conclusions…

Good Luck !!!

Ed

IP Logged

OLReliable
Full Forum Member

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 2:15pm

Mr._Mister wrote on Oct 6th, 2008 at 11:28am:
No comments?

A buddy of mine thinks I should go with a 45-120 Sharps.

Don't know what I'd do with a canon like that but the "cool factor" whould be off the charts!

... might not be THAT coo-el.

Gary

Laws do not protect victims; they simply define a penalty for the violators if they are caught.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 2:26pm

A huge action like that absolutely needs either the 5.5mm Velo Dog or the .297/230 Morris Short!   Grin

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Berrien Springs, MI, USA
Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 3:43pm

what about that 25 or 26-something rook cartridge.  saw one of the cartridges Ed had at the 22 rf shoot, Looks like it'd be a natural for that action.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

oldbluelight
Full Forum Member

East Tennessee, Tennessee, USA
Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 7:06pm

At this moment I am overcome by the feeling described so aptly by Yogi Berra, "It was deja-vu all over again". Dread clinches my soul in its icy fingers. Perhaps it's the screen name. No, on second thought it's not just that. "Watson, hand me my syringe. I can highly reccomend a seven percent solution of cocaine."

IP Logged

Mr._Mister
Junior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 7:12pm

Yeah, um whatever…

Is everyone on this site a comedian?

I’m new to falling blocks, thought maybe I’d get some help here but maybe not.

Thanks any way.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Berrien Springs, MI, USA
Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 7:35pm

not really, No one is really mocking you.  you just brought this up at a somewhat inopportune time--through no fault of your own of course.
the folk here are quite knowledgable, however recently there have been some rather long and acrimonious threads---almost hate to call them discussions----centered around Wickliffe actions and rifles.  Little of the discussion actually involved the properties of the action itself.  Rather they were centered around the claims and counterclaims of the guys involved in the production/marketing/promotion of the thing.  It got so arguementative that, if I recall correctly, the moderator had to step in and pull the plug. 

The action you have is plenty strong for almost anything you can fit through it.  I'm sure it'll handle more that you'll be willing to shoot more than once or twice.  As to missing parts, you might take your chances and google wickliffe rifleactions and see if the current makers can help you.  any good gunsmith who has worked with winchester style-falling blocks should be able to make any small parts you might need.

you will need to decide what you want to use the rifle for.  Do you want to make a semihistorical old-timey hunting gun--there are lots of excellent rimmed cases that will work well depending on the game you'll be seeking from dangerous game to small game.  should you want to use it to hunt varmints you might be able to get it to work with the modern highvelocity rimless cases with the right extractor setup.
A target rifle---what game you gonna play; long rnge creedmoor/Quigley stuff, or maybe NRA BPCR, or even one of the schuetzen games.  All have different cartridges to suit their conditions and rules.

once you have an idea what you want to use it for, you can do a search through the ASSRA site archives and you should find a bunch of good info--exclusive of that last round of bickering of course

Just my opinion of course.   Welcome to the site and the American Single Shot Rifle Association.  I'm sorry that your fisrt experience wa a bit rough around the edges

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"

Lynchburg, VA, Virginia, USA
Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 7:36pm

Mr. Mister, you have reopened a topic that has been thrashed to ribbons recently.  I would suggest you might want to look at the search feature of this forum and see the entries that have not been deleted when the whole thing descended into chaos.  You obviously didn't know what was going on before, but it seemed sort of strange for some of our members to see the topic come up again like the mummy from his crypt.  Nothing personal, just seemed odd, is all.   Huh

Froggie

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 8:06pm

Welcome Mr Mister!
I'm sure once you look at the past posts concerning Wickliffe rifle actions you'll understand some of the seemingly "comic" answers to your post.
When I saw the "wickliffe" in your post I told myself, "Oh no! Not this topic again!"
But once I saw it was nothing to do with the old posts I was relieved!
If you've not shot a .45-120 much, you may want to do so prior to barreling your action! I'd guess that most singleshot rifles in .45-120 that are for sale, are sold because buyers realise they've got a lot of recoil and it hurts.
I personally would go for a .45-70 or .45-90, for that will give you enough gusto, and not beat you up!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 8:08pm

PS-After doing a search for "Wickliffe" nothing comes up, so I guess the old topics have been deleted.-Vall

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 8:23pm

Welcome,

There's nothing wrong with the action you have, it'll make you a very good single shot, in any caliber you care to have.  I have several of them, but I haven't made anything out of them yet.  Have assembled and worked at finishing them somewhat.

I can put you in touch with the fellow with spare parts, his name is Tom Ondrus, and he's okay to deal with, just gets a bit argumentative on these threads sometimes.

What parts are you missing?  Do you just need a barrel and stock?

dave

IP Logged

oldbluelight
Full Forum Member

East Tennessee, Tennessee, USA
Reply #13 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 9:54pm

Mr.Mister I apologise if my reply seemed dismissive. Recently we were all treated to a series of long and more or less idiotic claims and counterclaims by some people that seemed to be more interested in scoring rather obscure points in an endless urinating contest for the purpose of self-aggrandizement than in making a contribution to genral knowledge. Hence my reference to the boredom that drove a ficitional character created contemporaneously with the advent of many of the arms that we admire to seek solace in drugs.
I would caution against a 45-120. That is not based on personal experience. My reluctance to endorse that particular chambering comes from expierence with its lesser precursor the 45-70. I own two rifles chambered in that caliber. When loaded with heavy bullets they will kick the snot out of you if you don't snuggle up just right on the bench. One of them, weighing in around 7 lbs, will kick the snot out of you while you are standing on your hind legs. There is absolutely no reason to load light bullets in a 45-120. It was created to hurl great whallooping hunks of lead at a target at least 1000 yards away. That task requires bullets in the 500 gr and higher weight class. In addition the cartridge was designed around black powder and has way too much room between the bullet and the primer to funciton well with smokeless powder. In order for it to be regarded as 'cool' it will have to be seen and admired by other shooters. The only place you are likely to encounter them is at a firing range. If you show up with it regularly you will be expected to fire it. this leads to a series of problems. After their initial admiration of your 'coolness' some of them will attempt to reduce their feelings of inadequacy by being skeptical. If you fire it regularly and end up with a nose-bleed or shoulder seperation they will question your wisdom. If you only fire it occasionally they will question your courage. I've a sneaking suspicion that a 45-120 would turn out to be, like fate, a cruel mistress. Demanding much and returning little unless you intend to pursue a reputation on a Creedmoor type range. If you are successful at that you will be greatly admired by a small band of equally demented and extremely talented shooters. Trust me a 45-70 belching smoke and flame will impress the average person. It will be really cool compared to their AK-47. Start out there. It's a small matter to rechamber it to bigger things after you've mastered it. You can even make it a progression 45-70, 45-90, 45-110, and then when all of those have left you un-impressed you can turn to your admirers and say, "I've finally found a round that I like. I've rechambered this outstanding rifle to 45-120. My chiropractor says I should be okay if I take it easy."

IP Logged

Mr._Mister
Junior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 10:44pm

Ok that makes me feel a bit better.

I had no idea this was a contentious topic. As I said before I don’t know anything about falling block rifles and of course the guy I dealt with said this was a top notch action.

I have done searches on this site and my thread came up and the Wickliffe name was mentioned in miscellaneous replies to other threads. I haven’t seen a subject specific thread though.

So I guess the general consensus is this action isn’t worth much as far as a build goes (?).

I’ll keep searching but if someone has the time to reply here I’d appreciate it.

I did look up all those calibers some of you mentioned, the .297/230 Morris Short…I got a chuckle out of that one.

I was planning on building this gun as a bench varmint gun to blast digger squirrels. But an exotic wildcat sounded fun too.

I need a barrel and the stocks to build this. I was wondering what barrel manufactures you all like that make octigon's.

OldBlueLight-your last reply was funny. You should be a writer!

Thanks,

Steve

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print