Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savage Model 30 (Stevens Favorite) (Read 5362 times)
StevenD55

Savage Model 30 (Stevens Favorite)
Feb 21st, 2009 at 1:53pm

My fisrt day/first post.   Smiley

I'm looking for opinions on the 22 LRSavage Model 30 (Stevens Favorite). Cool

I just want a lightweight little falling block that will shoot through flying washers.  Umm, that's like Tom Knapp did on the History Channel....not just flying washing machines, which is probably closer to my ability at present. Cheesy

If that model isn't the one, I would like some sweet 22 falling block that will and for a price at something less than most of my vehicles cost me.  Shocked

Thanks.  Wink

Steve

P.S.  I like these little icons. Shocked

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Savage Model 30 (Stevens Favorite)
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 2:43pm

The new version of the Stevens Favorite is probably in a class of it's own as far as what it is for the prices they sell for. There's just not anything similar in that price range for a new rifle. The guns seem to be pretty good shooters, but all have really ugly, heavy, triggers that will need work to be able to shoot as well as you'd like.
I know a couple guys who have worked their triggers over and are happy with the guns after that.

IP Logged

StevenD55

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 3:21pm

That's good news.

I just found one that was a little used, with a couple of very minor dings in the stock for under $200, but otherwise owned by game warden.  He said he never even shot it.  I think I'll get it.   It will be something to tinker with.

Thanks and if your friends have any instructions on how to work over that trigger, it would be much appreciated.

Steve

IP Logged

alemonkey
Full Forum Member

Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 7:01pm

Long time lurker here, but I signed up just to give you my .02 on this rifle.  I got one from my wife for Christmas and with a Marble's tang sight it's really accurate. 

I lightened up the trigger on mine by disassembling it (drive out the action pins and it comes apart easily) and then polishing up all the mating surfaces on the hammer and trigger.  I didn't change any angles or really remove any metal, just made the rough MIM parts nice and shiny.

The trigger is quite a bit lighter now, but it could still use some help.  The trigger return spring is very stiff, so I'm planning on making a new one to replace it.

Good luck with the new rifle, they're a sweet little gun.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 8:58pm

I have one in .17 HRM with a Cape Outfiters repo Stevens Tang sight. Fun little gun. Have to agree that the triger needs work. Have not done anything with mine yet but need to. I also have a basic Cape Outfiters globe front sight on mine. Looks and works good.

IP Logged

alemonkey
Full Forum Member

Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 11:12pm

I would highly recommend polishing up the trigger and hammer.  Anyone who's halfway mechanically competent should be able to do it in an hour or less.  It's a lot smaller, but still easier to work on than an H&R Handi Rifle, if you've ever done a trigger on one of those. 

A globe front sight is on the list soon for mine, too.  It's already scary accurate for a just over $200 rifle, and with a globe sight it should be even better.

IP Logged

Vintagebpcs

Manitowoc, Wisconsin, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2009 at 12:22pm

I picked one up off the net, used for under $200 and really like it. Always liked the Stevens action any way. Yes the triggers are heavy but tolerable. I found that the stock is to short for an adult so I added a 1 3/4 inch recoil pad to get a reasonable pull and replaced the forearm with a much wider piece of walnut to fit the adult hand . I added a marbles peep tang sight and lyman 17A globe sight and now it shoots very well. I found that the marbles tang sight accuracy can be improved if you put a lock nut on the peep stem. This eliminated the post wabble and brought the bullet spread down to <2 inches at 75 yrd. I find that barrel is really light for an average adult which makes for lots of barrel movement during target capture. If I have to do over I may rebarrel on the same action. I find that it shoots every brand of ammo but I get the best results with winchester T22 target. At our local range I can keep up with the big boys and the more traditional guns. On many occasions I have beat them.
DRB

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Frequent Elocutionist

usa, USA
Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2009 at 1:25pm

Hi Guys,  It's nice to see so many new faces here at ASSRA Forum.  I wish to welcome you all.

I've read with great interest your experience with the Model 30 Savage under lever R.F. rifle, which is often referred to by some as the Favorite.

I would like to add to what has already been said;  that the actual J.Stevens Arms & Tool Co. produced Favorite rifles are readily available today to the shooting and collecting public on the perviously owned (used) arms market.   There is an adequate supply of these fine original boy's rim fire rifles to anyone who would want one.

I realize that it is much easier to buy out of a gun catalog or go to the "big box" sporting good retailers, but if one is willing to invest a little additional time, he or she can purchase a piece of American history in the form of a genuine Stevens Favorite which can be passed down to your decendents.  And yes, I've seen the Model 1915 Favorite with a relined barrel chambered in .17 HMR, for those who would want the cartridge.

I just wanted to put in a plug for the original Stevens Favorites,  for those who still want originality, a piece of Americana, and a heirloom.  I do understand that not every one does.   Smiley

Again, welcome to ASSRA,   Cheesy   Cheesy

Creedmoor

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2009 at 7:45pm

I have to agree on the original Favorites. I have several in various calibers and configerations. I also have all of the 1970's variations including the commerative one. One problem is that the prices on the originals keep going up. You are talking $300 to $400+ for a really nice one with a good bore. The neat tang and globe sights cost more. I shoot and use my old originals, but if you want one to run hard and put away wet, the new ones are a decent option. I am still looking for a .22 Magnum if any one has one they are tired of.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2009 at 8:04pm

WOW! I guess I've lost touch with reality on original Stevens Favorites! I've had several over the years, but found I didn't own one any more last summer, when one passed my way at a gun show. Seller wanted $175, and it had a great bore, nice wood, and bluing. Almost no case left, except in hidden areas. I figured they weren't that desireable, so I offered $150 and bought it. Now I feel a bit guilty for not paying his asking price if he was that under priced. Embarrassed

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 25th, 2009 at 9:35pm

If he walked away happy, and you did too, it was a good transaction.  He always had the option of not taking your offer.  Besides, that was last summer, 2008 B.O.!

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Ithacabuff
Junior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Dec 18th, 2013 at 12:19am

Creedmoor Match...your point about buying a nice original Favorite is well-taken here.  However, when you say the Model 30 is referred to by some as the Favorite you make it sound as if that is an incorrect term. However, I do wish to point out that I have two Model 30s and each one has a roll stamp on the barrel that refers to it as a "Stevens Favorite.." and goes on to say that it is made by the Savage Arms Co. etc in Canada. So, it is not incorrect to call the Model 30 a Favorite. Moreover, I say, why not have both??

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print