Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stevens Favorite .22 WRF (Read 4959 times)
slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Stevens Favorite .22 WRF
Mar 22nd, 2010 at 11:14pm

USPS delivered this one today. Trying to confirm some details. It is a Model 1915 with full hex barrel, Lyman #5 combination front sight, Lyman #6 folding rear leaf sight, and Lyman 1A rear tang sight chambered in and marked .22 WRF on the barrel. I have a fair collection of Stevens Repo Catalogs and the last mention I can find of the Favorite offered in .22WRF is the 1911 catalog. My 1914 and later catalogs do not show the .22WRF as an option. They also do not show the Lyman sights that I have as an option, which really does not mean much because you could pretty much order what you wanted. It could be a 1915 with an earlier barrel and sights added but the gun looks too good to have been cobbled together. I am assuming that the .22 WRF could have been available without being in the catalog. It was a special order for $2 in 1911. Will post some pictures as soon as I can remember how to get photos from my computer to photobucket. The only other Favorite .22WRF I have seen was a barrel only on Gunbroker recently. Anybody else know anything about this one?
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2010 at 11:11pm by slumlord44 »  

pix669715859.jpg (14 KB | 228 )
pix669715859.jpg

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Westside, Washington, USA
Re: Stevens Favorite .22 WRF
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 2:33am

Slumlord,

I seem to recall that the earlier barrels chambered for 22 WRF had a calibre roll marking of 22. 7 or 22. 7 1/2, something like that. Will have to do some digging.

Are the barrel sight dovetails machined for the early Stevens size, or for the later 3/8" size?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Frequent Elocutionist

Newcastle-on-Tyne, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 8:11am

The J. Stevens factory barrel sight dove tails on the Favorite model were wider than 3/8 inch at the muzzle; and, narrower than 3/8 inch at the breech.

Because the 1915 Model was a "take down" style rifle, it may well have had the WRF barrel exchanged for the original by one of the rifle's owners over time.

Let's look at the photos when you get them posted  (no need to go to photobucket,.  .  .  .you can post them through the Forum using your browser)

C.M.M.

IP Logged

TDW
Full Forum Member

South Central Montana, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 8:29am

Does anyone know how the Favorite action (particularly the 1894) held up to the WRF? Could be a fun barrel project. I'm just getting back into the hobby after many years absence, so if this subject has been hashed to death already, my apologies!
Tom

"The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse."
S.P. Garbe, Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness, 1980

IP Logged

toolmkr
Full Forum Member

Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 8:56am

Slumlord, the 418 1/2 was offered in 22 wrf and it was a slightly stronger version of a 1915 model

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 11:18pm

Hope picture on original post helps. Not sure how action held up to the .22WRF. This one is extceptionaly tight and solid. The 417 and 418's were available in .22WRF. The Favorites were available in .25 Stevens and .32 Long Rimfire. Not sure how the pressures of the WRF compare to these. The rear dovetail is the narrow one and the front is the typical wide Stevens dovetail. The barrel could have been switched. I am trying to determine if that was the case or if it could have came from rhe factory this way.
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2010 at 11:30pm by slumlord44 »  

pix669715750.jpg (20 KB | 233 )
pix669715750.jpg

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 2:18am

Keeping in mind that back then, most anything was possible:

Looks to me like it has the earlier 1894 era small font two line barrel address on the right octagon flat. That makes me feel the barrel should also have been accompanied by the 22. 7 or 22. 7 1/2 caliber marking for me to have felt comfortable that it was Stevens factory chambered in 22 WRF.  

But if it was a special order, Stevens may have not been able to use the later style top-flat address. Some engravers think the top-flat barrel address incorporated the caliber marking onto the same roll-die. In that case, specials would likely have been marked differently.

Rear dovetail sight looks like the Stevens #106 single leaf version of the Lyman two-leaf #6.

My 2 cents - FWIW!!!

OK, made my call... time for everyone to chime in and rip my observations apart.  Grin
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2010 at 2:36am by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 2:12am

The rear sight apears to be Stevens 106. Front sight apears to be Stevens 205 Beach Combination Sight but could possibly be Lyman 5.
I went through all my Favorites and checked a couple of my reference books. Barrel is marked J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. on the right side. Caliber marking is on the left side per photo. Script on the caliber marking is different from my .25 and .32 guns. They are script letters and the WRF is block letters. The pre 1915 gun I have with an octagon barrel is marked totaly different. Near as I can tell from Bill West's book, the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. would be appropriate on a Favorite made betwen 1915 and 1917. They went to J. Stevens Arms Co. after 1917. The last catalog I have that shows the .22 WRF in the Favorite is 1911. Frank DeHass mentions that the .22 WRF was only offered in the Favorite for a short period of time. He does not mention what time frame it was offered. Forend matches the 1915 contour rather than the earlier gun but is somewhat shorter than the rest of my 1915 guns. There was a .22 WRF Favorite barrel that sold on Gunbroker a while back. Anyone here buy it?
Seems like most of the interesting Stevens I buy end up being a puzzle. Mayby that is why I like them so much?
Anybody else have any more info?

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 5:03pm

Slumlord44,

Try posting a good closeup pic of your front sight. The Lyman 5 & 5-B are pretty easy to distinguish from the Stevens Beech sight.

BP

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

418Steve
Full Forum Member

NH, New Hampshire, USA
Reply #9 - Apr 22nd, 2010 at 7:36am

Slumlord--I have DeHaas first edition book, and you're right that on page 106, left column, it does say that the Favorite was made in 22 WRF as a special order only, but does not give the years anywhere.  It also says the models 18 and 19 were the ones fitted with different sights including tang rear sights, but then it says at the bottom of the left column that the 18, 19 and special order rifles were "generally" discontinued by 1915--but then your gun is a 1915?
Does it have a really low serial number for a 1915??  If so, might it be a transition or overlap gun, meaning one of the first 1915's, but just before they discontinued the models 19, 20 and 22 WRF special orders?  To further confuse things, in the middle column of pg 106, DeHaas says "A new number was introduced at this time (1915), namely the No. 27, furnished with a full octogon barrel. For a few years there were also the No. 28 and 29, which were the same as the No 27, but furnished with different sights, as in the case of the earlier No 18 and 19".  Trouble is he doesn't say what sights were on which model--maybe go to the sight reference books to find out?  Sounds like you might have a Favorite 1915, either model 28 or 29 (depending on sights) that was special ordered in 22 WRF.
Believe me, I'm no expert like Toomkr and others, but just a thought
Also, yes, both the special order pre-1915's and the 418 seemed to be OK with the 22WRF from what I read, including DeHaas on pg. 111 first edition.  I believe the only issue was with the 22 Hornet these guns wouldn't stand up to, and so the Hornet was discontinued after only a few years (if I remember it right and that might have been in the 418 series), and DeHaas says it would be marginal on the 22WMR.
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2010 at 8:25am by 418Steve »  

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 22nd, 2010 at 9:18pm

This is a 1915 Favorite. The .22 Hornet was offered in the 417 Walnut Hill in 1932. I have one that is prety much mint and I only shoot it sparingly with low end handloads. The 418's were offered in .22 LR, .25 Stevens, and .22 WRF. Have a .22 and .25. Still looking for a .22WRF 418.  My Favorite looks right but hard to be sure. I have one with what I think is a factory checkered stock but can't be 100% sure about it either. Love the unusual ones!

IP Logged

418Steve
Full Forum Member

NH, New Hampshire, USA
Reply #11 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 12:03am

I agree--half the fun (maybe more) is making these old things whole again.  I latched on to an OLD Favorite with 5 digit serial #, and made somewhere between 1894 and 1901.  All it needs is a better buttplate--it has a chunk out of it--just missed one on eBay a few wks ago for short money--and could kick myself now but am having fun looking.  Maybe put a tang sight on it too

But, I shoot pistol league nowadays, so I'm thinking a Stevens 35 pistol or a Pocket Rifle might be nice to show up with to go with my 2 (Stevens) rifles
Post a pic someday of your 417--never seen one in the flesh even though there is one at the Walnut Hill/Mass. Rifle Club not too far from me--and only one on GB that crops up every few months at asking of $2995.  But then, if it's near mint, I might get sick too!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print