Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Rifle Shop Action castings (Read 8270 times)
nobearsyet
Senior Forum Member

fort worth, Texas, USA
The Rifle Shop Action castings
Nov 14th, 2010 at 1:36am

Does anyone here have any experience with the various action castings available from The Rifle Shop in Ok?  I am contemplating a set of their castings to build a Schuetzen Ballard.  Can they be fit at home or is it a hire it done and spend a bunch project?

I'm for any sport that burns powder, I just look down a different set of barrels than most folks.  __Elmer Keith

IP Logged

harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

County Durham, Great Britain
Re: The Rifle Shop Action castings
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 5:47am

Hello Nobearsyet,

I've just had a look at the on-line catalogue of The Rifle Shop in Ok.
Those casting that they show appear to be good quality although as the text says, they have had the casting gates and flash removed.

I presume you are refering to the single shot rifle action castings that were originally made by Rodney Storie and marketed by Wes Stanley until a couple of years ago. If so, a lot depends on how much work the Rifle Shop has put into improving the original moulds, if any at all.

If my assumption is correct, and these moulds were purchased from Storie, then the original kits did need a lot of machining and this was not a job for the amateur. To make the kits into shootable rifles you will need to have, or have access to, a good milling machine, preferably a Universal Mill and a screwcutting lathe and be familiar with their use, and be capable of machining parts to an accuracy of 0.001".  You may have to make some of the tooling yourself, actions a century or older design were often made in part using machines that
that are no longer in use or available, so you have to improvise and devise methods and tools that will enable some machining cuts to be made.

Seriously though, it's not a job for someone with a couple of files and an electric hand drill. You really will need machining, marking out and hand fitting experience.

If you have the skills, give it a go, it's a very rewarding experience to build a rifle with your own hands, even if the castings do give you a head start.

One final point, it is absolutely essential you have a set of fully dimensioned machinists drawings, without them, you'll be totally lost before you even start.

If you go ahead, I wish you the best of luck, you will enjoy the experience, despite the occasional blood, sweat, tears, and the 'expletive deleted' curses. (Been there, done that)  Smiley

Harry
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2010 at 5:47pm by harry_eales »  

IP Logged

John Taylor
Oldtimer

Puyallup, WA, Washington, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 12:06pm

Several years ago I was sent a Hepburn action to put together. It had the holes drilled and tapped ( one was off a bit). I own a complete machine shop but there was not much to machine, it was all file work except threading the barrel. I did make up a jig to keep the file running strait for the breach block cut.  Lots of filing and fitting then it was sent out for color case. Everything worked when I got it together. I did locate and drill the firing pin hole.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

nobearsyet
Senior Forum Member

fort worth, Texas, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 2:17pm

I do have machining experience, but no machine shop access any more.  I don't who originally made the molds for the castings they're selling, but I do have experience building guns from scratch (done a bunc hof AR_15 20-80% when I was into the 3 gun thing)  so after I hear back the rifle shop I'll have to give it a go, if nothing else, I can send it out to be finished.

I'm for any sport that burns powder, I just look down a different set of barrels than most folks.  __Elmer Keith

IP Logged

harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 2:44pm

nobearsyet wrote on Nov 14th, 2010 at 2:17pm:
I do have machining experience, but no machine shop access any more.  I don't who originally made the molds for the castings they're selling, but I do have experience building guns from scratch (done a bunc hof AR_15 20-80% when I was into the 3 gun thing)  so after I hear back the rifle shop I'll have to give it a go, if nothing else, I can send it out to be finished.

Oh boy, it must be really nice to be wealthy. lol.  Grin

Harry

IP Logged

JCHannum
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 4:26pm

Is there a link to the Rifle Shop in OK? I was unable to locate the casting kits.

I did build a high wall from a kit from Wes Stanley. I have a small home shop with lathe & milling machine and consider this as minimum equipment needed in building these actions. The castings were of good quality, but are a bit smaller than the original actions due to shrinkage.

Jim H.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Oldtimer

Minnesota, Minnesota, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 5:38pm

John, it sounds like you had the Hepburn Kit from Upper Missouri Trading out of Nebraska.  Some of them were jigg drilled wrong for the trigger guard.  Bob

IP Logged

harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 5:42pm

Hello JC,

I just Googled the name of the Company to find them, but their on-line catalogue seems to be slightly out of date, I couldn't find the casting kits for SS rifles either. My comments were based on what parts I could find in the catalogue that was available.

Presumably they will be updating it soon.

Harry

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Senior Forum Member

fort worth, Texas, USA
Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 10:24pm

harry_eales wrote on Nov 14th, 2010 at 2:44pm:
nobearsyet wrote on Nov 14th, 2010 at 2:17pm:
I do have machining experience, but no machine shop access any more.  I don't who originally made the molds for the castings they're selling, but I do have experience building guns from scratch (done a bunc hof AR_15 20-80% when I was into the 3 gun thing)  so after I hear back the rifle shop I'll have to give it a go, if nothing else, I can send it out to be finished.

Oh boy, it must be really nice to be wealthy. lol.  Grin

Harry

Not wealthy in the least bit, but yo ucan finish an AR lower with $150 worth of jigs, a drill press, and a sliding mill vise from Harbor Freight.  Was hoping the Ballard castings were the same way.  If nothing else I figure I can do as much work as  Ican and pay somebody to finish the rest, but I am in no hurry to finish the project, I have a Trapdor Springfield in the works, and just bought a No 1 in 25-06 (see thread about cast bullets and 25-06 load data).  So the coffer is pretty near the bottom, but I'm not broke and deliberately set aside a little money every friday to go into the gun projects.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 5:10am

Hello nobearsyet,

I was just joking, so I hope no insult was taken as none was intended.

I have never seen offered for sale, any jigs to assist either a home or a professional gunsmith, machine castings of any of the Single shot rifle action kits, by any of their manufacturers, there's simply not the demand to make it worthwhile tooling up.

It's invariably the case, that the machinist concerned has to make his own. Some can be extremely simple to construct whilst others can give you real headaches, but there's simply no alternative.

One thing is certain, you will learn a heck of a lot about machining and the associated engineering problems, when you build an 'Action Kit' into a working rifle. Once you have successfully completed one kit, the next will be much easier, even if it is of a different design.

I have seen photographs of kits that have been successfully constructed into working rifles. It can be done, just stay positive and only work on them when your in the mood, I've found I do better quality work then.

Harry

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Senior Forum Member

fort worth, Texas, USA
Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 9:31pm

Who knows, maybe I'll be the guy that builds the Ballard action kit finishing jig.

IP Logged

Idaho Sharpshooter
Full Forum Member

Reply #11 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 9:40pm

They were at Quigley a couple years ago.  One of the employees had built a rifle based on their Webley-something 1897 kit.  It shot well, and was a thing of beauty cased and blued.  I asked him about doing a kit for me, since he had done this one.  Legally, he would have had to sell it to me and deliver it, and me send it back to his house for assembly.
Tooling/Jigs required.

The only simple one I have seen are the $495 Hepburns Doc Carlson is selling.  My guy here did one in two half days, and had it ready to barrel, stock, and then send off for heat treat and engraving.  Shame you aren't a Hepburn guy.

Rich

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Senior Forum Member

fort worth, Texas, USA
Reply #12 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 11:27pm

Hmmmmmmmm, didn't think about the Hepburn, but took a good hard look at the kit.  Might have to do that one instead.  But would still like to do a ballard.

IP Logged

michaelj
Junior Forum Member

lakewood, co, Colorado, USA
Reply #13 - Nov 19th, 2010 at 10:47am

If you decide on the Hepburn I have one and I have more projects than I can get to I would be willing to sell it for $475 For the kit almost nothing has been done to it yet.

Michael J

IP Logged

JCHannum
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Nov 19th, 2010 at 12:27pm

Hepburn kits in two flavors here, unmachined and machined. The site is current, but I cannot speak to availability.

http://www.uppermotradingco.com/index.html

Jim H.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print