Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rolling block thumb operated block lever (Read 3928 times)
Singleshotlover
Senior Forum Member

Rolling block thumb operated block lever
Oct 4th, 2011 at 11:52pm

I've seen a few rolling blocks that have an external lever attached to the breech block pin on the right hand side of the action and is used to raise or lower the breech block after the hammer is pulled back. Is their any connection between the breech block pin and the breech block needed so this works???. Set screw or pin needed. Thanks, Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Oldtimer

colorado, Colorado, USA
Re: Rolling block thumb operated block lever
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 12:07am

Frank run a search. There have been several threads on this over time.Plus one of the Mags had a big article on the RB conversion. With side lever. If you can't find it let me know and "maybe" Smiley I can find the article. Whitey

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 12:49am

You can do it one of a couple of ways.  A screw between the block and the lever axle, or a key in grooves in both. 

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

32 ballard xl
Full Forum Member

Stand on your hind legs

Akwesasne, New York, New York, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 9:07am

I think the keyway's are the more elegent solution. Wink

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

camarillo, CA, California, USA
Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 5:22pm

And if you are really talented you can convert it to roll back the hammer as it rolls back the breech block, this was going to be the last model of the rolling block made by Remington, but not with a side lever. They show a nice example in the Roy Marcot book on rollers. Fruend and Gove also made a conversion that rolled the breech block and hammer back at the same time.
Mike

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Quilcene, Washington, USA
Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 7:56pm

At the same time ?
How can that happen? The hammer must roll back first to make clearance for the breech block to roll back, no?

I dont have Marcots book. How does it work? 

Joe.  Smiley

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 2:43am

You have to buy that book, darned good reference material. Anyway, with out looking at it taken apart it is hard to say, the thumb piece on the breech block is mounted on a separate plate of steel that is in turn pivoting on the breech block. When you first put pressure on the thumb piece it rotates the hammer back by engaging a cam on the side of the hammer, and then when the hammer is back far enough  the thumb piece hits a pin or stop on the breech block and then rotates it down. Nice huh. That is the Remington version. Remington did produce this one but very limited and not many have survived.
The Fruend conversion did it underneath, they took the hammer and added a spur that connected into a pocket that was cast into the lever, when the lever was rotated down the hammer was rolled back and when it was far enough back to let the breech block move it disengages the spur on the bottom of the hammer and just rolls the breech block back. Not really complicated at all. Fruend made a few of these and had a patent to cover its design. Fruend did have a few different patents on roller mods.
Mike

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 3:19am

I saw one many many years ago. cant remember if it was in a book or where. Do remember it being a novelty.  When I studied the design it seemed to me it would place a lot of pressure on the lever which pushes the hammer back. cant remember if it was a side lever or under lever design.  

Must not have been worth the effort.  Neat though, would love to have one.  

Heres a picture of a under lever roller.  Very interesting rifle. sort of a Hines 57.  Hammer has to be cocked by hand first.

Joe.  Smiley

067.JPG (314 KB | 186 )
067.JPG

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Berrien Springs, MI, USA
Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 6:38am

Joe, that looks very Heinz indeed,  but also quite attractive, at least to my taste, though the colors could be a bit more muted. For some reason it looks like owl eyes staring at me. Cheesy    Do you have any more data  on it.

I am developing an interest in the midsized #2 rollers and am thinking a side or under lever on the smaller frame in a smaller caliber might be interesting.

Which one of the Marcot books has the data on the side/under lever versions.  I have the sporting rifle book but don't recall seeing anything on alternate lever versions

The Jan/Feb 2010 ASSRA journal has an article by Ken Erickson showing his side lever conversion
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2011 at 6:45am by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

plumloco
Full Forum Member

Manassas ,VA, Virginia, USA
Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 6:48am

Singleshotlover,
  Lone Star does the side lever conversion. also  Arizona Sharpshooters
http://www.arizonasharpshooters.com/8143.html
Plumloco

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 12:17pm

Westeners schutzen roller may be based on an action by Nagant (belgium). They used to make rifles that looked like under-lever rolling blocks, but were somewhat more complex internally. I once tried to buy one in an auction but it went for a lot more than I expected.
Fred

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 1:27pm

That Germanic /Americano  underlever 38/55 rolling block schuetzen rifle was at the Hamilton Montana 100 shot match last year.  

Think the owner told me he had it made per his specs.  The rifle shows nice work.   Dont know who did the work.  Dont know exactly what it was before.

Had my camera on the wrong setting all that weekend, hence the blue'r than regular blue colors.   

I hadnt noticed the owl face. It does look like an owl with the carving.  Grin

Joe  Smiley

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #12 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 1:49pm

Didn't DeHaas illustrate a manually cocked underlever conversion of a roller in his Gunsmithing Idea Book?  I'll have to find my copy and check.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 11:11pm

Thanks for all the tips and info. David, now I have to hunt through my library for the De Hass book. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 12:01am

The info is in Marcotts Sporting Remington Roller book. It was the last design and to me looks like a Whitney patent. The same book also shows under lever and side levers by frontier gunsmiths such as my favorite Fruend, and Gove.  Both used designs that you had to cock the hammer back first, and then later they came up with a design that cocked the hammer and rolled the breech block back. Very inventive folks. And to think they did all that work with no power tools at all. Just had or foot operated.
I also have the Fruend book and it is a great reference book for their work. I have always wanted to build one up but never have the time or money.

Mike

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print