Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLogin ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
.25 rimfire (Read 3220 times)
QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Berrien Springs, MI, USA
.25 rimfire
Oct 21st, 2011 at 7:47pm

I'm new to the quarter-bore family of traditional cartridges.  Assuming a standard 25 rimfire rifle barrel with an excellent bore.  what other cartridges could it be rechambered for---assuming the block was reworked for center fire.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Central Point 97502, Oregon, USA
Re: .25 rimfire
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2011 at 7:56pm

It could be rechambered to 25 Hornet (22 WCF necked up) or 25/20ss. That would be my preferred calibers.

Your problem will be the twist, I think the standard twist for 25rf was 17 but, the Lyman 257420 should stabilize in that twist. I can shoot it in my 18 twist Ballard.

Frank

Offical ISSA Member #339
frnkeore frnkeore  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Westside, Washington, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2011 at 10:49pm

Slug your barrel first. Some of the rimfire bore dia's run a bit smaller than with the centerfires. If your reamer has a removeable pilot, no big deal, but if it's a solid pilot reamer, you may need to have the pilot ground down slightly.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 3:18am

I have a Stevens Model 47 on a 44 action with a 25 cal Stevens barrel with a 17" twist.  It is chambered for 25-20 SS.  It shoots 87 grain bullets very well, even the pointed ones.  I have not yet slugged it.

IP Logged

bisaacson
Full Forum Member

Kailua, Hawaii, USA
Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 5:25pm

As an alternative to converting the rifle, you could check out the June '10 edition of the SSE to see how to make ersatz .25 Stevens RF cartridges. My Stevens Marksman shoots quite well with a 65 gn. cast bullet using brass formed to make a shell primed by empty .22 brass, and I have an unaltered rifle.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 11:37am

bisaacson wrote on Oct 23rd, 2011 at 5:25pm:
As an alternative to converting the rifle, you could check out the June '10 edition of the SSE to see how to make ersatz .25 Stevens RF cartridges. My Stevens Marksman shoots quite well with a 65 gn. cast bullet using brass formed to make a shell primed by empty .22 brass, and I have an unaltered rifle.

Guess I'm gonna have to find that issue! I've got a couple singles in .25 Stevens RF and I'd sure love to shoot them more!

DWS, One thing to consider is what action you're considering in the conversion. There are a few guns that are chambered in .25RF that should never be chambered in any CF .25 caliber.

IP Logged

AJ
Junior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 8:53pm

I wonder if anyone has considered converting 25 Stevens rimfire to 25ACP (similar to converting 32 rimfire Long to 32 S&W).  The ACP is a semi-rimmed case and compared to the 25 r.f., the case diameter is identical and the bore diameter is identical.  The ACP is, of course shorter and rim diameter is smaller and the rim is, I think, thinner.

This might not be a practical solution....Just asking...

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Wexford Township & County, Michigan, USA
Reply #7 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 9:28am

Not a bad idea if the bore of the rifle is .251 it should work with reloads, but have you ever tried to reload the 25acp? I did years ago, not much fun and those tiny cases will crescent your finger tips  Cry if you do not pay attention.
Mike

AJ wrote on Oct 24th, 2011 at 8:53pm:
I wonder if anyone has considered converting 25 Stevens rimfire to 25ACP (similar to converting 32 rimfire Long to 32 S&W).  The ACP is a semi-rimmed case and compared to the 25 r.f., the case diameter is identical and the bore diameter is identical.  The ACP is, of course shorter and rim diameter is smaller and the rim is, I think, thinner.

This might not be a practical solution....Just asking...

« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2011 at 9:35am by MIKE-T »  

IP Logged

craigster
Senior Forum Member

ca, USA
Reply #8 - Oct 29th, 2011 at 3:38pm

[/quote]

Guess I'm gonna have to find that issue! I've got a couple singles in .25 Stevens RF and I'd sure love to shoot them more!

[/quote]

If you don't/can't find it, LMK, I have the issue and would be happy to copy the article and send it to you.

IP Logged

MI-shooter
Forum Mod

Reply #9 - Oct 29th, 2011 at 5:00pm

If it is a .251 bore why not a 297/250 Rook? Takes 50gr 25ACP bullets and you can get about 1200fps. Based on a shortened 22 Hornet case. I know where a reamer is at........ Wink

Ed

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Berrien Springs, MI, USA
Reply #10 - Oct 29th, 2011 at 7:13pm

Until I get my hands on the barrel and Etc in another month I have no ides what the twist exact dimensions etc are.  I have been told the barrel is threaded for a #2 roller and I'm also getting that action so It'll go back on that action in all probability.   I've gotten inordinately fond of those little #2s

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print