Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stevens 414 (Read 2598 times)
Jazzman251
Junior Forum Member

SW NY, New York, USA
Stevens 414
Oct 22nd, 2011 at 2:34pm

Was at a local gunshow today and saw a Stevens 414 armory model rifle. The price was $525. Wasn't sure if that is a good price or not. The bore looks in good shape but the receiver has been reblued. It turns out the seller live about 20 minutes from me and since I doubt he will sell it today, I'm in no big rush to purchase.I'm a shooter not a collector so the rebluing is not a big factor but it does deter from valued price. Any assistance/advise would be appreciated. I have attached a picture of a 414(not the one I'm looking at) for ref only.

Stevens_414.jpg (22 KB | 206 )
Stevens_414.jpg

"Do not waste time trying to change folks' opinion about Religion, Politics, Baseball or RedHeaded Women"Peter H Capstick

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 414
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 5:19pm

These are good shooters. If the action is tight and the bore is good I would offer 450 or 475 and see what he says. Depends on what it is worth to you as a shooter.

IP Logged

Andy
Full Forum Member

Sugar Grove, Pennsylvania, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 7:30pm

Were you in Lander today? You have described to a T a 414 I saw in Lander today. ???????
Andy

IP Logged

Andy
Full Forum Member

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 7:38pm

Jazzman I just checked your location and you are not far from Lander. I'll buy you a cup of coffee tomorrow if you will be there and tell me what time. We could visit and BS.
Andy

IP Logged

Jazzman251
Junior Forum Member

SW NY, New York, USA
Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 9:04am

Andy
You are correct, it was at the Lander show.What did you think of the gun?
Thanks for the invite but I'm booked all day today. Hopefully we can connect up soon at one of the other upcoming shows.

"Do not waste time trying to change folks' opinion about Religion, Politics, Baseball or RedHeaded Women"Peter H Capstick

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 12:07pm

Was the 414 chambered for 22 Short or for 22 Long Rifle?  A good one in LR would be worth more than the identical rifle in Short.  Especially as a shooter.

IP Logged

Jazzman251
Junior Forum Member

SW NY, New York, USA
Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 5:54pm

waterman wrote on Oct 23rd, 2011 at 12:07pm:
Was the 414 chambered for 22 Short or for 22 Long Rifle?  A good one in LR would be worth more than the identical rifle in Short.  Especially as a shooter.

The rifle is chambered in 22LR

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 7:22pm

The LR is worth more as a shooter. Not sure about which is worth more as a collector. I have both and shoot them both. Good short ammo is out there, just a little more expensive, although I think Target Short ammo is probably no higher than Target Long Rifle ammo.

IP Logged

Andy
Full Forum Member

Reply #8 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 8:07pm

One thing that makes me nervous about this 414 is the way the blue did not take behind the trigger mortice, like maybe it has been welded. I think I would ask to pull the butt for a look inside to be sure. There is a welded 414 in the neighborhood, have seen it twice in the last 5/6 yrs. Someone leaned on a buffing wheel a little too hard before they blued it.
Three yrs. ago bought a 414 in Lander for $600.
How about Frewsburg next weekend Jazzman. I'll be there first thing in the morning (have to get there before you and get the good stuff) walking around with a "Little Sharps" i'm trying to sell. Wear my black 630th MP hat.
Andy

IP Logged

SSShooter
Oldtimer

Southern NJ, USA
Reply #9 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 8:50am

Did you pick up that 414? Am thinking $500, tops for one that is not original (reblued). Shot my brother's original (98%+) .22LR 414 yesterday and it was as good as any single-shot .22 rifle I've shot (40-X, Low Wall, etc.). I was very highly impressed with the accuracy and action. Think I'll make one my next .22 single-shot.

IP Logged

Jazzman251
Junior Forum Member

SW NY, New York, USA
Reply #10 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 4:38pm

SSShooter wrote on Dec 5th, 2011 at 8:50am:
Did you pick up that 414? Am thinking $500, tops for one that is not original (reblued). Shot my brother's original (98%+) .22LR 414 yesterday and it was as good as any single-shot .22 rifle I've shot (40-X, Low Wall, etc.). I was very highly impressed with the accuracy and action. Think I'll make one my next .22 single-shot.

Never did make the sale. I still have the contact info. I might take another look after the holidays.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print