Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Inletting Black Substitute? (Read 5046 times)
bpjack
Full Forum Member

East Olympia, WA, Washington, USA
Inletting Black Substitute?
Mar 14th, 2012 at 6:58pm

I have a one-time stock fitting on a Martini.  Is there a hardware/art store substitute for inletting black or should I bite the bullet and order the real thing from Brownells?

Thanks in advance

Jack

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Inletting Black Substitute?
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 7:04pm

Almost anything that will leave a mark will work, some better, some worse. I sometimes just use a blue lumber crayon and rub all over the surface of the barrel or tangs I'm inletting. It works particularly well for round bolt action barrels and doesn't leave the mess on the stock and your hands that inletting black does. You can also mark the item to be inletted with a lead pencil by repetitive rubbing. You can use lampblack mixed with grease to a thick paste, which is about what inletting black is. Or, can smoke the item in a candle flame. That works about as well as anything, just slow and irritating to do. All of these things (except the black grease) are less messy than inletting black, but not as persistent on the work, you have to renew them more often.

I re-read your post.  A martini is so easy to inlet, I'd just mark the buttstock with a pencil to approximate dimensions, cut it with a chisel, and tap it in and look for the crushed spots.  Remove those until it fits, cut the area where the wood meets the action to meet the metal, then glass bed it in.

The forend you can inlet in by using crayon to mark the barrel, and rub the forend just a bit back and forth on the barrel to mark the high spots.

dave

IP Logged

bpjack
Full Forum Member

Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 7:27pm

Thanks Dave. 

I have been doing some rough carving today.  Not much mating surface on the Martini.  I will try the tapping method.

Jack

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Newark, Delaware, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 7:38pm

Over 45 years ago, when I started building muzzle loaders, I tried everything in your imagination and always came back to the oldest inletting black known to man. The old cheapest sooty candle you can find. It is easy, it works, it's easy to clean up and as I mentioned it is cheap.  What else do ya need.

Dick

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. - Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Reg
Full Forum Member

Wray Colorado, Colorado, USA
Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 7:44pm

Go to any auto parts store and get a small tube of Prussian blue.  It's used for spotting in bearings and bearing bores.   Only cost a buck or two.  It's messy to use as all spotting compounds are but it leaves a good mark, easy to see and you don't have to rub things back and forth to get shiny spots.

Wink

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Berrien Springs, MI, USA
Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 7:56pm

I have used the large black Marks-A Lot magic markers for years.  I build the occasional flintlock and that takes a LOT on inletting. The magic marker ink transfers well from metal to wood doesn't penetrate the wood like some of the oily transfer mediums commonly used. it works as well from metal to metal and when I'm done it washes off the metal with almost any non-water solvent

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Andy
Full Forum Member

Sugar Grove, Pennsylvania, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 7:59pm

Lip stick.
Andy

IP Logged

bpjack
Full Forum Member

Reply #7 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 8:28pm

Andy,

Do you put it on your lips and kiss the action?
What color do you think goes good with a BSA Martini?

Smiley

Jack

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 8:30pm

Andy I would have never gave that one any thought and it sure is a good one. Now to figure out a way to sneak a tube into my tool box without getting caught. What flavor do you use bright red or black?
J.Louis

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Montezuma, Iowa, USA
Reply #9 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 8:55pm

I have a percussion rifle that was probably built in the 1940's or earlier using a 32-40 #3 round Winchester barrel on a cast brass "receiver".  The woodwork was inletted using lipstick.  When I first pulled off the buttplate to see if there were any maker's identification, I could still smell the perfume in the wood from it!

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Chuckster
Oldtimer

Colorado, Colorado, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 10:10pm

Mama usually discards the tube after it is worn down. Still plenty left and easy to get to with a brush for application. Don't go buying. it is expensive. Don't go stealing if you value your life. Smiley Also good if you come home with lipstick on your collar. "Just working on a rifle, Honey"
Chuck

IP Logged

Andy
Full Forum Member

Sugar Grove, Pennsylvania, USA
Reply #11 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 10:28pm

One day at work a woman asked me what I was looking at, she was wearing a purple lip stick. I told her that the lipstick she was wearing might be a great color for inletting gunstock wood. She gave me a long hard look and for a while I thought I was going up to HR for some more sensitivity training. I explained the whole process to her, she shook her head, laughed and walked off. Couple days later standing in the isle bs-ing with somebody she walks up and drops a lipstick in my shirt pocket and keeps walking. A week later my wife comes out of the laundry room with her hind end on fire wanting an explanation for purple lipstick in my shirt. I went back to using the black stuff, it's safer.
Andy

IP Logged

AJ
Junior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 11:01pm

A second vote on candle soot.  A home brew I've used is Dawn liquid dish washing soap thined with a small amount of water.  To this, add a little water soluble black paint of the hobby/art variety.  The soap solution works okay for large surfaces but isn't as good as candle soot.

IP Logged

craigster
Senior Forum Member

ca, USA
Reply #13 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 2:24am

Jerrow's inletting black. Black poster paint/graphite and mineral oil, candle soot.

Adapt and overcome. It ain't rocket science.

IP Logged

StrawHat
Full Forum Member

NE Ohio, USA
Reply #14 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 5:51am

An oil lamp will give you a good even covering of soot if you adjust the falme right.  I have a #3 burner on one and I can soot the larget part with just one or two passes.

Any unshared knowledge taken to the grave is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print